Saturday, January 15, 2011

Foodie

I love to cook! I've recently had more time on my hands to think about and prepare menus each week and stick to a schedule where I cook every other night and eat leftovers in between. Jordan and I are making an effort to go to the Souk (market) a couple times a week to pick up some fresh produce so we can have plenty of salads and snacks that are healthy for the baby and for us!

We don't have a weight loss goal in mind (my goal is to gain weight for the baby), but we are trying to eat relatively healthy and still have a little something sweet for dessert each night. Last week, we had shrimp Pad Thai with Asian coleslaw and banana spring rolls with chocolate dipping sauce, broiled Parmesan bassa with chive mashed potatoes and blueberry salad, and shrimp linguine with red cabbage salad just to name a few.

Here are some yummy, but sort of guilty pleasure recipes that we also enjoyed:

On the weekends, Jordan and I like to have breakfast for dinner because we are lazy:) Pancakes are a must! Unfortunately, we ran out of the maple syrup this weekend and so I whipped up a blueberry syrup instead.

Blueberry Syrup
1/2 c sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 c water
2 c frozen blueberries

1. Pour ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Serve hot over pancakes or french toast.


Snack that I had to have at 4:30 in the morning!

Caramel Popcorn
Make the popcorn (I do this on the stove)
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C of light corn syrup
1/2 C butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

1. Melt brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter on med heat and stir for 5 minutes at a boil constantly. It will thicken slightly.
2. Set aside from heat and add the baking soda(it bubbles up), vanilla extract, and salt and stir.
3. Pour over popcorn and mix well


I love rice dishes! Yum! This one made for a great pairing with Lemon Pepper Salmon, Crisp Salad with a red onion vinaigrette, and some sauteed green beans.

Curried Rice Pilaf
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c green onions
1/4 c butter
1 1/2 c uncooked rice
1 tsp curry powder
3 c vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 c golden raisins
1/2 c toasted, chopped almonds

1. In a large skillet with a lid, melt butter, stir in garlic and onions until tender.
2. Stir in rice and curry powder and saute until slightly browned
3. Pour broth and salt over rice, stir and cover for 35 minutes or until rice is tender.
4. Remove from heat and stir in raisins and almonds.

I haven't made our menu for next week, but I think I'm leaning towards a red meat dish or a roast and possibly some Middle Eastern sides. Any suggestions?!

No comments:

Post a Comment